Echo vs the destkop

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Tue Sep 23 22:47:26 UTC 2008

William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> When we approved Echo as the default icon theme for F10, I was under the
>> assumption that this was already more or less known as a feature to the
>> Desktop group, and they were OK with the coverage provided and the
>> experience given. Is that the case?
>
> No.

I had thought Matthias volunteered to serve as the Desktop team
representative. He had outlined a plan here which is what the Echo folks
have been following:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00044.html

I also was under the understanding that Echo was set as the default in
rawhide to enable the folks working on it a chance to get fuller
coverage, and that if it was deemed to not have appropriate coverage, it
would be pulled. But I'm not directly involved in any of that, I think
these were things brought up in the FESCO meeting about the Echo feature.

>> Looking at the desktop now (beta), I see:
>>
>> - at least three different icon perspectives in the stock menus
>>  (echo, 'stock', bluecurve)
>> - nearly all 'upstream' gnome apps using non-echo style icons
>> - an immediate disconnect between the perspective of the stock
>>  icons and the perspective of the main menu logo
>>
>> It also appears to me that the Echo icons scale to menu size I'm
>> using (24) much worse than the prior icons.
>>
>> Are we planning to address these issues, either by increasing the
>> Echo icon coverage, or changing various apps to point to system
>> icons provided by Echo?
>
> I strongly disagree with the decision to use the Echo icon theme.  For
> one, there is simply not enough time before Fedora 10 to fix the
> problems that you point out.  There is also the fact that the quality
> of the artwork is noticeably lower than the upstream GNOME and Tango
> icon themes.

The Echo artists have been working hard at improving the coverage. If it
is not there in time for the preview release, I presume they would try
again for F11. Martin and Luya and perhaps FESCO can probably speak more
and better to this.