[Echo] New image-missing icon set

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 10:48:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 02:47 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Looking into the old Echo icon theme, I found early image-missing[1]. I
> replaced the blue background by red for better metaphor. Interesting
> enough other theme like gnome, Tango and oxygen have different way to
> interpret the same metaphor. Feedback welcome.
>
> Luya

Something's strange, not sure what though. Perhaps you could try to make
the "X" read instead of the paper and use semitransparent/greyscale
image below it on the paper to suggest that it's a (missing) image? Or
perhaps try different metaphor? The gnome metaphor seems more suggestive
to me than bluecurve (red X on a paper) or oxygen (red cancel sign on a
paper).

Also, since you are reworking first of the many icons containing the
paper, it would be nice if you provided a template with only the paper
on it, you can call it e.g. paper-template.svg or whatever. It would
help in the future with finishing most of the mimetypes icons. We could
add it to the guidelines. :-)

Also the echo-new-icon script is set-up to look into ~/Templates for
echo-one-canvas-template.svg first before using its own template - it
really helps when creating bunch of icons all containing the same part,
like envelope or paper ;-) I'll probably add a --template=PATH switch to
some future version so that you can provide your own template without
having to copy/rename it...