Fedora Mascot

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 15:20:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> A mascot would be brand diluting at this point, so my inclination is
> against having one.

Not even a cuddly-wuddly Fedora ferret, with a first name starting with
an F?  Nicu could draw him in various costumes, little tshirts, or
mittens in the winter.

We could sponsor ferrets at pet stores around the world.  We could have
users submit pictures of their own ferrets running "yum update" and
submitting bugs.

According to wikipedia, ferrets are energetic, curious, and have a
"repetoire of behaviors both endearing and difficult".  Just like most
of the Fedora community!

Then there's this:

"When ferrets are excited, they may perform a routine commonly referred
to as the weasel war dance, a frenzied series of sideways hops. This is
often accompanied by a soft clucking noise, commonly referred to as
dooking."

I'm picturing a session at a future FUDCon in which we have people do
their own weasel war dance.

In conclusion, who wouldn't want a little critter like this teaching you
all about how to set up a virtual machine, or popping his head out from
behind PackageKit to tell you to update?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/Female_ferret_Emily_cinnamon_color.jpg/160px-Female_ferret_Emily_cinnamon_color.jpg

Faithfully submitted,
Max Spevack
Ex-FPL and Level 50 Troll