Wallpaper Extras - was: Re: F11 Art Schedule

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Apr 9 11:26:19 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009 12:57 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:36 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> - do we require some minimal specs for the images, like a minimum
>> resolution?
>>
> Good uestion. How does 1600x1200 and 1600x1050 as the minimum reqs
> sounds?

Those are absolute minimums. We can accept something lower only if it is
vector image.

But what could be a recommended rezolution?

> Another question is, should we package all the wallpapers on the
> wallpaper extras wiki [1], or are we going to hand-pick a few?

If we open the gate and announce that widely, I think we will get *a
lot* of images, ending with a huge package.
IMO we can have two types of criteria to divide the images:
- the quality, and I don't mean the *artistic* quality, but technical
quality, for images with too much noise, bad focus or exposure, wrong
aspect ratio and such;
- the subject, someone wanting a nice landscape may not want to endure
the download of a lot of flower macros and  cute cats.

> Also, I don't recall the conversation back then, but when googling, I
> found this proposal [2] from Ian that sound like a pretty big
> improvement over our current set-up. It would require probably these
> steps:
>
> 1. reorganise the wallpaper extras wiki, create categories and templates
> 2. create an art-team space on fedora hosted (with git for the stored
> images)
> 3. create a script (be it in python, ruby, perl, bash, whatever) to pull
> the images together with info (author, cc attribution, ...) from wiki
> and put them in a sane format into the git repo
>
> Note that we would benefit from the fedorahosted space even more - i.e.
> we would have good place to store the release graphics (especially the
> wallpapers which currently contain the source archive only within the
> srpm) have a place to track our tasks (ticket system) and could also be
> a better place than wiki for the design queue.

I would like a much lower barrier to entry, having an upload form there
the contributor select a file to upload, check a few boxes and fill a
few fields with keywords, press a button and is done (that sounds
awfully close to a gallery software?). If the barrier is low and
contribution easy, I am sure we will get more contributors.

Ian's proposal sound better for the packager but somewhat complicated
for the contributor.