Improving Leonidas Backgrounds

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 10:51:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

following on yesterday's short discussion with Mo, I've noticed few
differences between Samuele's jpg [1] and the source xcf [2] from which
Ian's versions [3] were apparently generated. Since I think Samuele's
version is more refined I decided to give it a go and try to bring the
xcf sources closer to that. What I especially don't like in the Ian's
version is the mirroring effect on the bottom waves. I've fixed this in
xcf by actually displaying the overlaying layer (which had previously
sort of strange mask set). But because I like the blue version more,
I've slightly changed the colours as well.

Next, I've played with the visibility and colours of many of the lion
layers to make the lion look closer to Samuele's jpg as well, but
somehow it ended up being brighter... I suspect the mask layers in the
xcf are somehow different from what Samuele used to generate his jpeg
(looks like instead of containing 2 Bytes of information per pixel [aka
greyscale], they are just 1 Bit [only black and white]). Finally I've
created one version without the stripes over lion, which I consider
distracting and don't like them.

I've also removed some weird stripes on each side of the picture. It
makes the picture less cluttered.

Here are the exported JPGs [4][5], I'll upload the source xcf too (but
on the wiki) if one of the designs would be accepted.

Thanks,
Martin