F11 visual concept idea - greek

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 15:33:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 12:58 -0500, Máirí­n Duffy wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Either way, my idea is focusing rather on the spiritual part of the
> > image, I'd draw it how it could look if the temple was new and still
> > used by old Greeks, perhaps around the columns could be some grapes or
> > some other plant growing, I can also imagine hot springs (with vapour
> > flowing up from the springs, creating a mist) and maybe forest or small
> > bushes nearby, possibly with Mt. Olympus being seen in a distance.
> > Though I am not sure if we'd be able to do such complex art from scratch
> > with inkscape; or if we'd be doing photo-realistic one, if we could get
> > hands on fitting and properly licensed photos... Maybe if I have enough
> > time I'll try to sketch the idea in inkscape, but do not expect
> > something that will look good >_<
>
> Awesome, I look forward to it! I'm going to try to put something
> together tonight too to push this idea further and we can critique each
> other's sketches/mockups and figure out what parts work.
>
> The Feb 1 (today :) ) deadline isn't for us to have beautiful polished
> artwork, but to just to know what we'll be working on for the next few
> weeks.
>
> It seems like we are reaching a consensus on doing a Grecian landscape
> with a helmet & columns and some natural elements like Olympus, vines,
> etc., so I think we've pretty much met our goal which is great! :)
>
> ~m

Here's [1][2] my first try in inkscape. Some notes:

The temple is made very simple for the begining, more details will need
to be added, also we'd probably need to chose slightly different
colouring and maybe slightly different proportions.

The helmet would probably need only small amount of extra detail added.

I've created really simple background and that would definitely need to
be replaced by something better looking. Also, unlike for the temple and
helmet, I've used open clipart images which do not fit the rest of the
image, so we'll need to create more detailed, 3D-looking images
ourselves. On the wiki [3] I've linked some photos which might serve as
reference. Also the hot springs look pretty odd as they are now. Maybe
adding some reflections, etc. would help.

Overall, I think the resultant image should have much less vivid colours
and it would be great if we could target more realistic looks (perhaps
some post-processing in gimp might help that). Also, I think it would be
interesting to change the shading during the day, it would be quite a
lot of extra work, but IMHO definitely doable and the result might be
pretty impressive.

Anyway, see the concept more like "I think the olive tree would be good
if it were placed here, there I'd like some log, ..." and as a base for
further development, should we go with this approach. Though I fully
realize that making 3D-looking art with perspective purely in inkscape
isn't an easy task.

Martin