Discussion About Echo Perspective

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:56:36 UTC 2009

2009/1/9 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just posted a poll about Echo Perspective on Fedora Forum [1] to
> see our user base opinion and I'd like to hear the opinions of the Art
> Team members as well. As you are probably aware of, we are starting Echo
> Perspective and are selecting the designs to start with. All the design
> concepts are displayed together in our latest monthly issue [2].
>
> I'd like to hear your opinions about these designs as I don't want this
> decision to be two people + user base poll only, and I'd like to see
> more people from the Art Team involved. Also being it the Art Team, I'd
> like this to be rather discussion than handful of +/-1 ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Martin
>
> PS: Note for new members: do not hesitate to join the discussion, your
> opinion is as important to us as that of the "old" members :)

> [2] https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/wiki/MonthlyNews/Issue4-5

Hi martin,

first of all i would like to say that i like the icons (color style).
The shit looking color (i really mean shit) is out now and that really
improves the icons that used brown.

But now something i don't understand. You seemed to be a person
heavily in favor of the isometric perspective.. what happened with
that idea? is isometric gone and is this the "new" idea?
For isometric it was relatively unique in both style and idea but this
"new" perspective is nearly plain flat. I like the icons but they are
not "new" and there are better looking ones out there. If you're going
for this "new" idea then you can better just quit and use tango icon
library and improve that where needed. The icons you've made already
look a lot like tango.

I never fully understood why a new theme had to be made anyway. I did
(with isometric perspective) offer something different then tango but
now with the flat design it simply doesn't offer anything new or
better or revolutionary or anything.

So please just using/modifying tango instead of making a new icon
theme that looks nearly the same. Also other applications (pidgen and
openoffice (i could be wrong about this one) and a range of other
applications already use tango as there default icons so the full
desktop experience will probably be a lot better if that's all just
using tango. I know you can modify about every app in the fedora repo
to have the icons you've developed but that's, to me, just a waste of
developer time.

Don't get me wrong! i like your icons! i just thing that there is
already a icon theme exactly like it called Tango.

Good luck,
Mark