Discussion About Echo Perspective

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 19:14:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 16:56 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Hi martin,
Hi Mark,

> But now something i don't understand. You seemed to be a person
> heavily in favor of the isometric perspective.. what happened with
> that idea? is isometric gone and is this the "new" idea?
> For isometric it was relatively unique in both style and idea but this
> "new" perspective is nearly plain flat. I like the icons but they are
> not "new" and there are better looking ones out there. If you're going
> for this "new" idea then you can better just quit and use tango icon
> library and improve that where needed. The icons you've made already
> look a lot like tango.

We aim with Echo to be the default icon set in Fedora. Because of the
reasons you stated bellow it's better to make Echo as much consistent
with gnome-icon-theme *and* oxygen as possible. Yet, we'd like to keep
the Echo feel (that's why we cannot *just* modify tango). You can think
of it as echo stylised tango. One the other hand, we'll continue with
the isometric icons as well for those who'd like to have something more
unique.

In short, Echo Perspective aims to be good default, moderately
consistent with upstream defaults, Echo <whatever> aims to be a unique
set utilising different kind of projection (we use the dimetric
projection, in our guidelines still called "isometric perspective") than
most icon themes use.

> I never fully understood why a new theme had to be made anyway. I did
> (with isometric perspective) offer something different then tango but
> now with the flat design it simply doesn't offer anything new or
> better or revolutionary or anything.
>
> So please just using/modifying tango instead of making a new icon
> theme that looks nearly the same. Also other applications (pidgen and
> openoffice (i could be wrong about this one) and a range of other
> applications already use tango as there default icons so the full
> desktop experience will probably be a lot better if that's all just
> using tango. I know you can modify about every app in the fedora repo
> to have the icons you've developed but that's, to me, just a waste of
> developer time.
>
> Don't get me wrong! i like your icons! i just thing that there is
> already a icon theme exactly like it called Tango.

We'd like to be moderately consistent with Tango, but we want more
lively colours and perhaps more realistic feel. It means the development
can be way faster because we can reuse already developed tango or oxygen
icons, only restyle them to have echo feel. But in some cases - e.g.
folder or trash - we'd like to have more unique design. I also tried to
do the same with the display - if you compare tango/mango/gnome/oxygen
displays to my design, you'll notice many differences (personally, I
don't the tango/mango design and the gnome design uses CRT monitor,
which is sort of outdated).

> Good luck,
> Mark
Thanks you for your comments and questions,
Martin

PS: If it goes on like this, I think we could have enough material to
make a short FAQ page for Echo ;-)