Wallpaper survey

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 23 16:26:17 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

In case you didn't catch it on planet Fedora, I have been
running an informal survey of the desktop backgrounds folks
are using (getting responses from both Fedora and GNOME
community members.)

I've gotten a LOT of replies, check them out:
http://mihmo.livejournal.com/68292.html

So far as I've been able to read through them, they seem to
fit into 3 categories:

- #1 stick with the default (distro default or desktop env
default) or flat solid color
- #2 personalized no matter what (photos they took
themselves or photos of family members) or a photo of an
interest hobby (racecars, bikes, hometown, etc)
- #3 beautiful pictures of nature, usually with some depth

So I think as we are still thinking about our approach to
F11, we should think about these wallpapers that folks are
actually using and try to create something that they will
like having as their desktop background as much as possible.
#2 would be impossible for us to do, but #3 we can most
certainly do.

Looking at it this way, maybe for the wallpaper we could
have a beautiful landscape with maybe some Grecian elements,
maybe ruins of Grecian columns or a garden stylized in a
Grecian way (maybe with some sculpture) and maybe we could
follow the Golden Mean in laying out the elements of the image.

What do you think?