Wallpaper survey

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:44:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 04:48:27PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Ian Weller wrote:
> > However with the Grecian columns and stuff we need to be careful of not
> > looking "ancient", as some might say, but instead looking functional,
> > practical, etc.
>
> Yes definitely. Like if the columns are ruins, we don't want
> to give off the message that Fedora is in ruins or something
> like that. We want to highlight the positive aspects... eg
> rather than posing Fedora as the column, if we've got say a
> pretty columns-ruins landscape, pose fedora as the vines and
> plants and nature growing on top of the the old columns (the
> columns then become the establishment/proprietary software)
> Then it becomes more, 'Fedora - making proprietary OSes
> history' rather than 'Fedora is old broken crap!' :)

There is the connotation of vines/kudzu as a vegetation pest rather
than something more positive.  I could be stretching a bit for that
interpretation, though.

Another idea:  Atlas is a Greek mythological figure (a Titan,
actually) that held up the world.  Note the similarity in the way that
Fedora contributes to the FOSS community when we're doing it right.
Does this spur any design thoughts for anyone?