Banners and splashes

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Mar 13 14:42:23 UTC 2009

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Hi all you fabulous Artists and Designers,
>
> I wanted to ask about two things, backgrounds and other art.
>
> BACKGROUNDS:
>
> I noticed that Martin produced a package of the leonidas-backgrounds,
> and F10 users can test it now if they want:
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/leonidas-backgrounds/10.92.1/2.fc11/noarch/leonidas-backgrounds-10.92.1-2.fc11.noarch.rpm
>
> I've tried it here on my F10 box and the package works perfectly.
> (And frankly, I think it's quite lovely, although I have a bit of a
> problem making out my blue-themed folder icons against the color of
> the sky sometimes.)  Has anyone had a chance to announce this to
> whatever population we want to test the backgrounds and report back?
> Do they know what kind of feedback the Artwork team is looking for?

I definitely mentioned it on FWN and also Martin blogged (so it was
pushed to planet)

> OTHER ART:
>
> According to the F11 schedule:
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-11/f-11-art-tasks
>
> ...splashes and banners are something the Artwork team creates from
> now until about March 27, two weeks or so from tomorrow.  Then they're
> packaged by March 31, so that they can be tagged and included in the
> Preview Release.
>
> The listed splashes, headers and other art scheduled for March 27
> includes:
>
> * GNOME splash screen

Lately we didn't bother with this as it is disabled by default, but I
believe in the end someone made an image.

> * KDE splash screen

For the last releases the guys from the KDE got involved with that and a
splash was produced.

> * GNOME screensaver lock dialog

Another one disabled by default. Even more, it is on its way to
obsolence, it will be replaced by the GDM screen (however, I can't say
when, the Desktop guys are not very talkative about that).

> * Fullscreen splash for syslinux
> * Square splash for anaconda and firstboot
> * Anaconda horizontal header
> * Firstboot vertical header
> * Fullscreen grub splash

Usually those are derived from the wallpaper, so we will probably
address them after the wallpaper is in a final state.

Since we are still stuck with GRUB 1.x. the GRUB splash will be probably
the hardest, needing an original (symplified) graphic.

> * Plymouth bootup/loading graphics

This area is poorly documented (is very new) but we have an "expert" in
Charlie Brej. My personal option would be to use the default background
(the temple landscape picture) and a progress bar.

> * kdm login screen theme

Agian, the KDE guys will most likely take the initiative here.

> Is the listed date of March 27 enough time to produce these various
> derivations?

Is doable but we should not let it for the last few days.