new direction for the wallpaper

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Mar 16 08:29:16 UTC 2009

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Based on some feedback we've gotten about the beta wallpaper, I have a couple of approaches to suggest for moving forward, let me know which you think is the better approach:
>
> 1) Islands - I saw the movie Mama Mia this weekend for the first time, and it's a movie based on a pretty Greek island. We did a survey a while back that indicated most people would prefer a landscape-based wallpaper, but maybe instead of going with mountains+temple wallpaper we could try a landscape based on the islands of Greece, e.g. maybe somewhat like this (higher res, and a bit cleaned up, no boat in the water and the land area here is a bit too busy, maybe replace it or clean it up):

I don't like this particular photo:
- from a compositional point of view, it is "correct", with the land at
1/3 of the screen, but id does not tell me anything;
- the colors are dull, the land is brown (tan?), not green to show life
and the water is too gray.
- the resolution of 1600x1200 is  not enough. Too bad Smolt is not
giving any statistics about display sizes, but I expect a lot of people
would need to scale it up. And even viewed at 100%, the photo lack details.

If we are going with this approach, I think we may need to search for a
better photo.

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkarakatsanis/3334225599/sizes/l/
> (Santorini Island Greece, by John.Karakatsanis CC-BY-SA)
>
> 2) Mount Olympus - or instead we could take the temple out of the current wallpaper and focus a bit more wholly on the mountains as the symbol of Greece rather than the temple. We might need to swap Bob's photo out for an actual photo of Mount Olympus in this case though.

If we take the temple out, then the result may be a bit to close to the
Windows XP default wallpaper but with mountains instead of a hill.

> Let me know if you have any thoughts, or even better mockups / adequately-licensed reference or source photos .

Back when we started talking about landscape photography I did extensive
search on Flickr and was not able to find something to like with Mount
Olympus