new direction for the wallpaper - NEW FOLKS TOO!

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Mar 17 15:17:49 UTC 2009

Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I think the Artwork team should be empowered to change direction if
> needed.  The point of having a wallpaper release in the Beta was to
> encourage more feedback.  If the team doesn't feel it can act on that
> feedback, it would be silly to bother in the first place! :-) As far
> as the schedule goes, I see it as an organic process that we try to
> improve and tune with each release.  If it doesn't work perfectly this
> release, we will try to capture the problems and resolve them with a
> better attempt for the F12 schedule.
>
> Mo is right, we do need people to commit to helping with any changes
> proposed.  It's great to have ideas coming in, and we should simply
> ask that the changes be backed up by a person agreeing to execute
> them, or that the Artwork team agree to make a decision by a specific
> date on which changes they'll accept and work on.

I am leaning towards an enhancement on what we have in Beta instead of
changing the direction, but I need to see the reactions once it is in
the wild (I am often proved wrong).

> How do you guys feel about a simple task list on the wiki by which
> artists could claim a task?  That might make it easier to see what's
> left to do, and make progress.  If all the work looks like it will
> land on one artist, maybe because people don't know what they can step
> up to do, it's far less likely to get done -- or at least, it will be
> very painful for that person when it does!  It seems like we've had
> quite a number of people come by the list recently offering to learn
> and help, and this is a good occasion for them to do so.  It's
> relatively easy to take some existing art from a background and make,
> say, a single banner with specific dimensions.  (At least, it seems
> easy to me, even though I'm not an artist!) :-)

The list is quite clear, it may be a copy/paste of your previous email
or a simplification of the ThemingOverview page. But those tasks are
blocking on the main wallpaper, since they will be a derivative of it.

Or do you talk about a list of tasks for helping with the wallpaper,
like finding source photos and such?

> It looks like there is a very complete set of instructions already on
> the Artwork team's wiki area, which would help form the task list
> (along with the bullet list of different splashes and banners):
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview

Yes, that is the reference, it is slightly outdated but is our best
reference.

> Do team members think we can get all the other art done in time for
> the Fedora 11 Preview Release?  That might mean a tight schedule,
> since I think all the freeze stuff for F11 Preview happens around
> April 14, a little less than a month from now.  But I think it can be
> done if we can put a plan in place quickly, first for deciding and
> making changes to the background however the Artwork team feels is
> required, then tasking out the rest of the theme and getting those
> pieces done.

I think it will be an interesting experience: until now we had abstract
graphics, so it was easier to make things like Anaconda banners by just
moving the elements in Inkscape, with photorealistic images I am not
sure what's the best: different photos, heavy photomanipulation or just
clever cropping.

> The last thing on my mind is being schedule-pushy as the FPL.  The
> Artwork team has long expressed the desire to get Artwork done sooner,
> so I'm just trying to bring that historical perspective.  I think
> people are doing a great job already, and I really feel there's enough
> momentum to do a superb F11 Preview with full artwork.  Let's make it
> easy for people to grab a small piece of work and own it.

We need someone to keep us with our feet on earth and remind about
mundane things such as schedule... :p