base banner style for f11 leonidas artwork

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Wed Mar 18 20:29:22 UTC 2009

Hi Martin!

----- Original Message ----
> From: Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>
> > (sorry about the extraneous useless message, my mail client is braindead
> sometimes)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

> These two look great. Although, wouldn't it be better to call it
> kde-splash (since, unlike the gnome one, it is enabled by default)?

We'll be doing a gnome splash either way. This is meant to just be a quick example of one of the many splashes we do just to see an application of the style idea. The KDE splash will necessitate a slightly different design because of the particulars of how those are done.

> I am
> unsure which would be better though, perhaps I'm slightly more inclined
> towards the one with the 'fedora' word, rather than the logo.

Yeh, I'm not sure either but I'm leaning more towards the logotype alone as well.

> But come
> to think of it, would it be desirable/worth a try to promote the four
> foundations there - i.e. putting there the four F's logo? I think it
> might fit well within the design.

Mixing the four f's into the theme doesn't strike me as being particularly appropriate. Having an alternate theme that uses the four F's would be cool though. I think Clint is working on something like that. (If you're reading, do you have more details Clint?)

> And about the banners - they seem over too simple to me, there're lots
> of "deaf" space there (just simple gradient and nothing more taking up a
> lot of space). Starting with the second one and add some more details
> (not sure though, what would fit there) to the currently plain blue
> background might help. Also, what are these banners for? IIRC in
> anaconda these are "shorter" and thus the deaf spots would be reduced to
> practically nil.

They aren't actual banners, they are just design mockups to show a treatment of a Greek motif along with the Fedora logo and colors. Just to kind of give the feel...

> Overal I think the way you've chosen is a good one :)

Cool :)