New Concept for F11 King

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:52:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 07:39:41AM -0700, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> [...]

The way this license reads, the author is asking (note "please") for a
contact, but it's not required as it would be had he used the wording
"but you must send me a message...".  This doesn't conflict with his
clear statement that the recipient is free to use the picture in any
application.

> The rust texture doesn't have an explicit license. I can try to
> contact Jeff to see if he can commit to a specific CC-based license
> that's acceptable for Fedora:
>
> http://www.lostandtaken.com/2008/12/reader-submitted-textures-jeff-foster.html
>
> Same problem with the spray brushes. The license isn't
> explicit. "Free" can mean a lot of things and not all of them
> involve the kind of free we need, unfortunately. I can try to
> contact them as well.
>
> http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/freebies/free-hi-res-spraypaint-photoshop-brushes-set-two

The licensing statements for the freebies on the site are kept here:
http://blogspoon.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/freebies/terms-of-use.html

Quoting:
'''
You Can:

    * Use the resources in your personal work, in whole or part.
    * Use the resources in your commercial work, in whole or part.
    * Modify the work to your personal preference.
    * Share the resources with others, under the following terms:
          o Link to the resource webpage, not the download file.
          o Use an excerpt from the webpage if necessary (don’t copy
    * the full article and display it on your site)

You Can Not:

    * You can NOT sell the resources directly for profit (eg. Selling
      the items on stock resource websites)
    * You can NOT copy the full webpage and display it on your own
      website. (Use an excerpt by all means, but please link to the
      original resource download page – not the actual file.)
'''

The part that bothers me about these licensing texts is the statement
of terms for sharing: it is unclear about whether you *must* link to
his resource web page.  It would be much better for the author to use
a standard license such as CC-BY-SA or some other more appropriate
license, not something he's written himself.

> In the future, it would save a lot of work and heartache to make
> sure we use work that has explicitly approved licenses. When someone
> says something like, "hey guys here u go it's free have it!" it
> unfortunately does not count as an explicit license in our
> pre-approved list, so we have to go to Fedora legal on a
> case-by-case basis and many times contact the authors themselves
> (who are not always responsive or even reachable) to clarify the
> situation.

+1.  Especially when there is not much in the way of time or resources
free, having to do all this is a real drag, and gets in the way of
creating and promoting beautiful art and design.