Banners and splashes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:50:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 04:42:23PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> I've tried it here on my F10 box and the package works perfectly.
>> (And frankly, I think it's quite lovely, although I have a bit of a
>> problem making out my blue-themed folder icons against the color of
>> the sky sometimes.)  Has anyone had a chance to announce this to
>> whatever population we want to test the backgrounds and report back?
>> Do they know what kind of feedback the Artwork team is looking for?
>
> I definitely mentioned it on FWN and also Martin blogged (so it was
> pushed to planet)

Excellent!

It would probably be good to also indicate what kind of feedback the
Artwork team wants.  Any specifics you're interested in, other than "I
like it" or "I don't like it"?

>> OTHER ART:
>>
>> According to the F11 schedule:
>> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-11/f-11-art-tasks
>>
>> ...splashes and banners are something the Artwork team creates from
>> now until about March 27, two weeks or so from tomorrow.  Then they're
>> packaged by March 31, so that they can be tagged and included in the
>> Preview Release.
>>
>> The listed splashes, headers and other art scheduled for March 27
>> includes:
>>
>> * GNOME splash screen
>
> Lately we didn't bother with this as it is disabled by default, but I
> believe in the end someone made an image.
>
>> * KDE splash screen
>
> For the last releases the guys from the KDE got involved with that and a
> splash was produced.
>
>> * GNOME screensaver lock dialog
>
> Another one disabled by default. Even more, it is on its way to
> obsolence, it will be replaced by the GDM screen (however, I can't say
> when, the Desktop guys are not very talkative about that).

Right, this can probably be discontinued when that happens.  I think
there's a few Desktop guys lurking here, maybe they can let us know
their plans....

>> * Fullscreen splash for syslinux
>> * Square splash for anaconda and firstboot
>> * Anaconda horizontal header
>> * Firstboot vertical header
>> * Fullscreen grub splash
>
> Usually those are derived from the wallpaper, so we will probably
> address them after the wallpaper is in a final state.

Does this mean the dates, as they stand, should be changed to a later
target?  There's no reason for anyone like me to bother the team if
you guys really don't want to deal with these pieces until later in
the process.

If that's the case, setting a date would be a big help.  Do you guys
want to have these completed for absolute code freeze, for the Preview
Release?

> Since we are still stuck with GRUB 1.x. the GRUB splash will be probably
> the hardest, needing an original (symplified) graphic.

I'm betting the cloudy sky (with or without birds, depending on the number of
color gradients needed) would work OK...

>> * Plymouth bootup/loading graphics
>
> This area is poorly documented (is very new) but we have an "expert" in
> Charlie Brej. My personal option would be to use the default background
> (the temple landscape picture) and a progress bar.

Charlie, maybe you could drop some wisdom here and/or on the wiki.
That would give more people a chance to learn how the stunning Solar
theme was produced for Plymouth.  Never fails to get a whistle or a
"cool!" out of someone who's seen it...

/me envisions birds flying, or clouds drifting over landscape...

>> * kdm login screen theme
>
> Agian, the KDE guys will most likely take the initiative here.

Do we need anyone to notify them?  John and I can help, if so.

>> Is the listed date of March 27 enough time to produce these various
>> derivations?
>
> Is doable but we should not let it for the last few days.

Sure.  Head starts are good, which is why I wanted to bring it up, so
as not to surprise anyone late in the process!  :-)