Banners and splashes

Charlie Brej fedora-art at brej.org
Mon Mar 16 16:46:47 UTC 2009

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 04:42:23PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>> * Plymouth bootup/loading graphics
>> This area is poorly documented (is very new) but we have an "expert" in
>> Charlie Brej. My personal option would be to use the default background
>> (the temple landscape picture) and a progress bar.
>
> Charlie, maybe you could drop some wisdom here and/or on the wiki.
> That would give more people a chance to learn how the stunning Solar
> theme was produced for Plymouth.  Never fails to get a whistle or a
> "cool!" out of someone who's seen it...
>
> /me envisions birds flying, or clouds drifting over landscape...

Sorry for the late reply.

So currently the plugins are rather complicated to create as there are plenty of
holes to fall down. I could write a few words but what I think would be better
atm is to work it from the other side (i.e. make plugins really easy to make).

What I would like to do is to make a customisable plugin which has an
interprited script which allows very easy changes of what it does. The script
specifies the image locations and what movements the images take every frame.
Should be simple enough that non-programmers can do it. Over Christmas I did get
somewhere towards this but this wont be complete for a few months.

In the mean time I can easily make a new plugin with the background and have the
progress bar from mizmo [1], so long as that is what is wanted. The birds flying
away is easy to do (like [2]) but I will wait till the background settles down
and there is a common demand for something in particular (send suggestions and
if people agree I will put it in).

[1] http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/art/f11/mockups/splash/
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7NqQ30KfAo#t=6m28s