new direction for the wallpaper

Justin Fuhrer justin at analograils.com
Mon Mar 16 21:26:57 UTC 2009

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Based on some feedback we've gotten about the beta wallpaper, I have a couple of approaches to suggest for moving forward, let me know which you think is the better approach:
>
> 1) Islands - I saw the movie Mama Mia this weekend for the first time, and it's a movie based on a pretty Greek island. We did a survey a while back that indicated most people would prefer a landscape-based wallpaper, but maybe instead of going with mountains+temple wallpaper we could try a landscape based on the islands of Greece, e.g. maybe somewhat like this (higher res, and a bit cleaned up, no boat in the water and the land area here is a bit too busy, maybe replace it or clean it up):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkarakatsanis/3334225599/sizes/l/
> (Santorini Island Greece, by John.Karakatsanis CC-BY-SA)
>
> 2) Mount Olympus - or instead we could take the temple out of the current wallpaper and focus a bit more wholly on the mountains as the symbol of Greece rather than the temple. We might need to swap Bob's photo out for an actual photo of Mount Olympus in this case though.
>
> Let me know if you have any thoughts, or even better mockups / adequately-licensed reference or source photos .
>
> Thanks
> ~m

Hello all, newbie to fedora-art-list here.  :)  I don't currently have
any time on my hands to contribute any mock-ups or artwork,
unfortunately. In the meantime, I wanted to offer constructive criticism
and ideas.

Following the current thread, I think that the direction of going for a
landscape/photo-realistic wallpaper is going to be prohibitively
difficult.  I foresee problems with the wallpaper clashing with desktop
icons due to the amount of detail required by a landscape.  It will also
be difficult to reconcile this theme with the, likely, more benign
overall Fedora theme/icons/details.  I think Fedora 7's theme is as
close as anyone could really get to a highly detailed, yet not
obstructive, theme.

To suggest (another) alternative direction, has anyone explored
employing a more subtle reference to Greek culture?  I think there
should be a lot of resources to pull from in this line of thought -
there are many patterns/themes that could be built upon from Greek
culture, for example:
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&q=greek+pattern&btnG=Search+Images

Using such patterns as a guideline, it could be possible for someone to
come up with a more abstract-style wallpaper (a la Fedora 8) that, while
not necessarily beating the user over the head with Greek culture, could
still subtly carry the Leonidas/Greek reference/theme/inspiration.

I have some ideas of what this might look like, but as I said, no time.
   :(  Anyway, good luck in your efforts and I look forward to the
finished product!  I will try to offer criticism/opinions/ideas whenever
possible.

--
Justin Fuhrer