Banner ideas

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:17:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 03:28:52PM -0300, Jayme Ayres wrote:
> As we have several spaces in the event, Maria Leandro and I are thinking of
> doing some different gear, my idea is that http://jaymeayres.com/arquivos/
> fedora/fisl10/banner.png
>
> It is difficult to work with the 4 f's because both in Portuguese and in
> Spanish the words do not begin with the letter F, so my idea is to relieve the
> original idea. Tatica has done a beautiful art with the leaves and I think we
> can use the two gears to put the events where Fedora will be present.

That's one of the main reasons why we don't call them 4 F's, but
rather "4 Foundations."  The foundations are core values, not
marketing slogans.  I wrote up a page to explain them here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations

Obviously we knew that translations would change these foundations so
they wouldn't be alliterated.  That's OK -- it's the *value* that's
important, not the word itself.  As long as a translation is matching
the value of the foundation itself, it's a good choice.  The icons
help to make this distinction as well -- they make a link between the
idea behind the word, and the words used in every other language.