FYI: Personalization in Windows 7

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu May 14 09:50:38 UTC 2009

On 05/14/2009 01:17 AM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 22:03 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Why not file an RFE against the application in the *DE that handle
>> background settings that will be able to browse and preview those
>> images
>> from the online gallery which the end user can then select and set as
>> his default background?
>>
>> This would save bandwith and the needed packaging hazzle..
>>
>> The end user would also be able to preview the backgrounds online in
>> his browser and right click the image and select to set as his default
>> background...
> It would create a mess in the system. Installing the wallpaper for all
> users requires su authorisation, enabling it as default means that it

I think this is the whole point of personalization: don't care about all
users, make easy the personalization tor each user.

> needs to be copied to some directory that is readable by all users and
> we don't like to mess up with the dirs that are usually handled by

I like a lot how the default wallpapers are set now in the distro: check
a box and input a password.

> rpm,... Think also about removing. But yeah, I have the concern about

Removing should not be an issue, we are talking about relatively small
files, JPEGs or PNGs.

> bandwidth as well and I am really not sure what is the best approach to
> this... Some nice app that would let you select the wallpapers you'd
> like to install (after seeing their thumbnailed preview) would be nice
> to have, but I'd prefer it to integrate with our rpm (or even better
> packagekit) infrastructure.

Do you currently wave a wallpaper installed from rpm? Mine is a JPEG
somewhere in my homedir and it survived a clean install of F11 Beta.