Wallpaper

Charlie Brej fedora-art at brej.org
Thu May 7 09:23:11 UTC 2009

Samuele Storari wrote:
> +1 I think this solution will works! Great idea, so users can just "click and change".
>
> Afte that I think mo your doing a great job managing the art team, and please don't take my words as an attempt to make a new-useless arguments.
> And thanks a lot Rodrigo for defend my concept as a piece of you, I really appreciate it, but you know as Rolling Stone sings: "You can't always get what you want...", next time maybe we can try to work and say our objection in the right time and in the right place as the "team" decided it.

I think having the default as the simple background is probably the better
option, but I agree. I think we are targeting two types of users.

The "I just want things to work" users who want nothing more than a working
system. I sympathise with them as when I deploy a new installation on 40 user's
machines, the last thing I want is someone complaining about not being able to
find their icons.

But we also have the "shiny shiny shiny" users who want the wow factor.

Unfortunately reviewers are in the later category and all they look for is new
"shinies". The number one complaint they usually have is that each distro is
just like the another one. I think it is important to allow them to pimp out
their desktop very easily and make each release look and feel new and unique.

It should be a case similar to compiz, make it off by default but installed and
trivial to turn on. (perhaps space becomes an issue)

I predict that within hours of the release there will be blog entries with
guides on getting the lion background.