FYI: Personalization in Windows 7

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu May 14 12:58:54 UTC 2009

On 05/14/2009 03:41 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 12:50 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>> needs to be copied to some directory that is readable by all users and
>>> we don't like to mess up with the dirs that are usually handled by
>> I like a lot how the default wallpapers are set now in the distro: check
>> a box and input a password.
>>
> I don't know how this works, only that it works for the wallpapers I
> have installed, but they are all system ones. If you have wallpaper
> image in your $HOME then it probably needs to be copied over
> to /usr/share/backgrounds or somewhere before it can be made default.

I am the sole user of my desktop, I set as a default background a photo
from my home directory and it is picked correctly by GDM (ant that was
all that mattered to me). Was to lazy to create a new user account only
to test this.

>> Do you currently wave a wallpaper installed from rpm? Mine is a JPEG
>> somewhere in my homedir and it survived a clean install of F11 Beta.
>>
> I do... Actually I use the default wallpapers because I like them. In
> past I've used various custom images though, but somehow the default
> ones have won (I think since about the time community took over the
> release artwork I have been using the default wallpapers almost
> exclusively).

I also stayed with the defaults for F8 an F9 because I liked them, not
so for F10 and F11.