Migrating from Fedora Art Team to Fedora Design Team

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:00:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:24:58PM -0700, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> As discussed some time ago [1], we are going to rebrand ourselves as
> the Fedora Design team rather than the Fedora Art team, both in
> hopes of attracting more UX designers, and also since it's a more
> accurate representation of the team so folks needing help with UI
> design will know where to go. Well, for roundabout reasons (getting
> fed up with our limited ability to collaborate on files, more later
> in this email) I finally got around to starting this process.

Mo, this is fantastic news!  This also will help to clarify the
boundaries and shared work with the Websites team, I think.  This team
already has skills beyond just making beautiful art.  And a Design
team is the perfect way to start attracting people who can help us
with workflow issues on our websites, the upcoming Fedora Community,
and so forth.

I'd love some ideas on where we could start planting some seeds of
information in free-culture type design communities, where people
might be willing to come and use open processes and free tools to
create great new design and user experiences around Fedora.

> MAILING LIST
> better approach. What do you think? I can also try to have a
> redirect put into place so mails to fedora-art-list at redhat.com are
> forwarded to design-team at lists.fedoraproject.org. Additionally, I
> plan to add some information on the old fedora-art-list list info
> page to redirect users to the design-team list info page.

+1

[...snip...]
> IRC CHANNEL
> ============
>
> We've had #fedora-design open for a while in freenode, but only a
> few of us have been in there, please join us in there if you like!

+1, done!

> ACCOUNT GROUP
> ===============
>
> We also have a new account group in the Fedora Account system:
> 'designteam.' I am not sure the best way to proceed populating this
> group. We could add all users in the art group now to the design
> group, or we could take the opportunity to filter out inactive
> members. The reason a new account group was created is the final and
> I think the most exciting piece of news here.

Do you think it's worthwhile to have a Trac instance for the team?  I
know that many other groups use that as a low-drag queue system.  We
don't want so much geekiness that it turns off designers.  On the
other hand, many Fedora groups have a Trac to do queue-type things,
and in general it's been found to be easy, flexible, and low-drag.

Certainly it beats editing a gigantic wiki page!  The combination of
this plus a place where we can drop things and paste URLs (like
below!) would help speed things up immensely, I think.  I can drop
this idea on the new design-team list if this doesn't carry over
there.

Also, I am willing to do the request with the admins, make sure it's
working, and reconfigure it to match what we think we need for this
team.  (I say "we" here a little loosely because I know I'm not much
of an artist or designer, but I do like interacting with people here
so I hope no one minds.) :-)

So if people +1 this, I have the ball for those tasks.

> SHARED FILE STORAGE
>
> Seth Vidal set up a shared directory for us on fedorapeople.org:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/

Love, love, LOVE IT!