Migrating from Fedora Art Team to Fedora Design Team

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon May 18 07:26:21 UTC 2009

On 05/15/2009 10:24 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> As discussed some time ago [1], we are going to rebrand ourselves as the Fedora Design team rather than the Fedora Art team, both in hopes of attracting more UX designers, and also since it's a more accurate representation of the team so folks needing help with UI design will know where to go. Well, for roundabout reasons (getting fed up with our limited ability to collaborate on files, more later in this email) I finally got around to starting this process.
>
> MAILING LIST
>
> Unless there are any objections, I'm going to migrate all subscribers of fedora-art-list to the new design-team list and unsubscribe them from the old art list. I am not sure if there is a better approach. What do you think? I can also try to have a redirect put into place so mails to fedora-art-list at redhat.com are forwarded to design-team at lists.fedoraproject.org. Additionally, I plan to add some information on the old fedora-art-list list info page to redirect users to the design-team list info page.

This looks like a good plan.

> WIKI PAGE
> =========
>
> I started a new wiki page under /Design a long time ago, but we'll have to populate it with details about our team and such. It's pretty bare right now:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design

Yeah, we could start with adding a banner, create categories for
navigation and such.

> IRC CHANNEL
> ============
>
> We've had #fedora-design open for a while in freenode, but only a few of us have been in there, please join us in there if you like!

Been there for a while...

> ACCOUNT GROUP
> ===============
>
> We also have a new account group in the Fedora Account system: 'designteam.' I am not sure the best way to proceed populating this group. We could add all users in the art group now to the design group, or we could take the opportunity to filter out inactive members. The reason a new account group was created is the final and I think the most exciting piece of news here.

I am for the opportunity of filtering inactive members: the number of
group members is huge but very few are active contributors.

> SHARED FILE STORAGE
> ====================
>
> Seth Vidal set up a shared directory for us on fedorapeople.org:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/
>
> I've started populating it with a lot of the Fedora art and design work I have on my systems. Here's the really cool thing about this: If you go to Places on your gnome-panel, and click on 'Connect to server...' and connect to fedorapeople.org, putting in directory: /srv/groups/designteam, then you can open up a nautilus window to browse and drag&  drop files to and from this shared directory. This means rather than painfully uploading your work file-by-file to the wiki, you can just drag and drop files in batches to the shared directory and link to the top level or individual files from the wiki.

I think in time we will figure out some ways to make best use of this
shared space.

> To be able to mount the directory read/write for the drag&  drop access though, you'll need to be added to the design-team group in FAS. Since we are not sure yet what our policy will be for migrating from the old art FAS group to the new design team group, I can add folks one-off individually to the design team group if you contact me or Nicu. I'll only add people who request membership to the design-team group who are already in the art group to be fair.

As said above, I am for manual migration of users to the new group.

As we don't have versioning, history or a self-made backup, edit
notifications and such, should we tighten the rules for membership in
this group? (we are a "rm -rf" away from massive data loss).

> I am hoping folks will use the shared directory rather than their private fedora people spaces to upload and share their files. This way, other folks on the design team can collaborate and upload their improvements and remixes to the same place so we don't have files for the same project all over the place. It should also make it easier not just to upload lots of files, but also to download them in batches.

Still thinking about the directory structure and if it would be useful
or not to have "user" directories inside this shared storage.

> Any thoughts, questions, concerns?

I am surprised you have not also blogged about this rebranding, I think
it is informative for the larger community.