Re: kernel-modules in the buildsystem (Was: Re: Stuff to look for in plague 0.4)

seth vidal wrote:
For other packages I agree. Kernel-modules should be a exception IMHO.

I worry that having them as the exception means we have to do the code
anyway which makes it a slippery-damn-slope to all packages using
arbitrary defines.

I don't buy the slippery slope argument here. Kernel is really the only messy case where you can have multiple versions installed simultaneously. There are also no other valid cases where what is installed does not necessarily match what is running.

why doesn't it automatically build for whatever the highest installed
kernel-devel or highest installed kernel package is?

The default spec "uname -r" makes it so a user can easily build it against their currently running kernel. This is desirable to easily support users who use custom kernels. For everyone else we provide packages against the official released kernels. It is very desirable to be able to build both of these cases from the same SRPM without modification.

Defining only kver in the build environment is a simple and elegant way of supporting both of these requirements. It also makes it much possible to automate kernel module rebuilds when a new kernel is released.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com