mock and fc5/fe5 and comps pain

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 13 16:19:50 UTC 2005

> Old fedora.us and our current Extras packaging guidelines tell folks to
> test their builds against the minimum build environment pulled in by the
> artifical deps of the fedora-rpmdevtools package.  You could just use
> fedora-rpmdevtools as the base package instead of creating yet another
> package to pull in minimum buildroot deps.

We'd need a fair bit more stuff than is in fedora-rpmdevtools:
 - createrepo, buildsys-macros, python, rpm-python,

take a look at the contents of this file:
http://fedoraproject.org/buildgroups/4/i386/buildroots.xml

that's what we need and that's a bit of a problem for
fedora-rpmdevtools.

> Note that we made an explicit decision NOT to include auto* as base deps
> in fedora-rpmdevtools.  This is because different packages may require
> specific versions of autoconf or automake.

right and in the buildroots.xml we include all the automakes and
autoconf.

I think we'd be better off with NOT confusing the purposes of
fedora-rpmdevtools package and the mock build packages, not to mention
that I'd like to make sure this is written so it can be used for !fedora
distributions, too.

I know I'm not using mock just for building fedora-based things; I'm
sure others aren't either.

-sv