Build system ideas/requirements

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Mar 3 08:36:59 UTC 2005

Hi,

> 1. build system using comps.xml for chroot install definitions (base,
> build, minimal) - it would make sense and we could leverage the
> groupinstall/update/remove mechanism in yum.

Not sure what this would achieve ? In mach, these three "target" names
mean the following:
- minimal: a minimal set of packages that allows you to chroot into it
and run bash
- base: the same set of packages, but with all packages needed to make
the rpm db consistent added
- build: a bunch of additional packages that rpmbuild likes to have
(patch, gcc, ...)

Not sure what (some magic link to comps.xml) would bring more.

> 2. I talked to Jeremy some about this and I think if we do all rpmdb
> transactions from OUTSIDE of the rpmdb and only build in the chroot then
> we should be able to safely juggle multiple rpmdb versions from host to
> chroot systems.

Yep - that's how mach 2 has always done it after long discussions with
jbj.  The alternative is to put specially compiled rpms in the root.

> 3. there's no reason to not develop a specialized script that uses the
> yum modules that can be run by something like mach-helper for making
> chroots reasonably correctly.

What does "reasonably correctly" mean here ? I mean, is there anything
wrong with the chroots that currently can be created with rpm --
root/apt-get .../yum --installroot=... ?

> 4. we're going to run into problems with contention for the rpm
> transaction lock on the host system b/c rpm likes to lock the rpmdb on
> the host system even when operating on the chroot system. A queuing
> mechanism for access to the that lock so we know what else is left in
> the process is not a bad idea.

Yeah, that'd be nice to get fixed.  mach still has a global file lock
for this reason.

Thomas

he strokes your hair to keep you down
will you fight ?