build system glue scripts and requirements

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 20 15:06:31 UTC 2005

> I think requiring a tag of some kind in CVS to trigger a build would be
> cool: it ensures that builds are actually tagged.
>
> Maybe something like this:
> "make tag" in a CVS checkout could do the tagging with the appropriate
> tag name derived from the package (N?)EVR(+branch?), as well as force-
> tag a special transient and moving BUILDME_DAMMIT'ish tag which the
> buildsys could look for.  However, the buildsys needs to be able to
> figure out when to build based on new tags appearing in CVS or existing
> tags being moved to new revisions.  That might be a bit tricky, but I
> think it's doable.  Or there could be a special BUILDIT'ish file
> (possibly GPG signed) committed to CVS containing checksums of some kind
> and the tag to build.

problem: what if you only want a single arch built, how do you specify a
single arch be built via the tag? How do you deal with test non-release
builds? That's my concern about tag-based building, it seems kinda
limited.

I'd think having tagged releases + some way of instructing the
buildsystem that we want it built 1. for release 2. for a set of archs,
would probably give us more flexibility.

Maybe some of beehive's caretakers can tell us how beehive gets build
requests signaled?

-sv