buildsys info updates

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 6 20:58:27 UTC 2005

Hi,
 Had a short conference call with Dan and Jeremy today. Gist was working
on the bits I mentioned to this list a few days ago.

Dan is going to work on the config bits and changing around the classes
a bit so as to make it more clear what bits do what.

We also 'decided' that it would be worthwhile for the queuer to run an
xmlrpc server for 'make build' to communicate with

It will store the list of things to be built in a db of some kind.

The process would be something like:
- user runs 'make build TARGET=development'
  this runs an xml-rpc client program which uses the ~/.fedora.cert to
  connect and auth to the queuer. It submits the build request and exits
- the queuer takes the list of packages to build and farms them out to
  the buildhosts. Right now the archwelders are xml-rpc servers that
  the queuer connects to to tell them what to do (run, die, logs,
  status, etc). Dan mentioned some interest in making them polling
  daemons instead - discussion of this is welcome.
- the archwelder finishes, the queuer gets notified of the results and:
    - updates the queuer db/list with the status
    - sends notices/info to the user who requested the build
    - moves the files around like it needs to for the repositories

That's most of what we talked about.

Ideas:
 - making it so the buildhosts and the queuer don't have to have
immediate access to the same file space (currently via nfs)
 - (along with the above) making it so the archwelders/buildhosts can be
anywhere in the world for building packages.

Dan, Jeremy, feel free to fill in anything I missed or said wrong.

-sv