plague-server dying

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 12:02:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 07:42 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2005, at 6:48 AM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>
> > I am having problems with plague-server dying on me.  I am starting
> > plague-server like:
> > plague-server -c /etc/plague/server/plague-server.cfg -d -l /var/
> > log/plague/plague.log my.ip.address.here
> >
> > After some amount of time (hours? I'm not sure exactly, but I know
> > it was up all most of the day yesterday and then died sometime in
> > the night) the process disappears, and nothing is left in the log
> > file except for the startup and build messages.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to have it print out more information?
> > I am running the server on an EL4 box, might that have something to
> > do with it?
> >
> > plague-server is CVS from a few days ago (using mysql back-end patch).
> > python version is python-2.3.4-14.1
> >
> > I also have plague-builder running on the same box, and it has been
> > running with no problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff
> >

> Died again this morning after about 30 minutes - no jobs were
> submitted or run in this time.  The only access was via the web
> interface to check if it was up.  I was using it with a remote mysql
> server, so I'm going to try it with mysql on localhost and see if
> that works any better.

Hmm.  Can you try to run the python process under gdb?  Essentially:

gdb /usr/bin/python
set args /usr/bin/plague-server -c /etc/plague/server/plague-server.cfg ...
run

Then just let it run for a while, and see where it segfaults.  It would
also be helpful to install python-debuginfo and pyOpenSSL-debuginfo too
so that the gdb backtrace is more useful.

Come to think of it, are you using SSL in your buildsystem at all, and
if so, have you patched your copy of pyOpenSSL?  This is probably
something that should be documented :)  FC4 and rawhide are already
patched, but RHEL4 is most likely not patched.

Dan