kmod arch, ExlusiveArch, and buildsys?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 22:04:34 UTC 2006

Hi Dan,

I am supposed to ask you about your opinion about how to ask buildsys to
build for specific archs for a kernel module.  I believe that we should
use ExclusiveArch with explicit listed archs, and buildsys should loop
through each listed arch and build each.  This would also work for
multi-arch performance intensive userspace packages similar to what we
do in glibc or openssl in Core. [1]  Contributors may also list any
other arch like s390x or alpha in ExclusiveArch, and buildsys simply
ignores it if it isn't supported in Extras.

I believe this is the best approach to take for Extras, because Core has
been similar to this for many years.  Do you have any opinion on this,
or know of a better way to handle this?

Here is some related discussion:
<scop> the problem with exclusivearch is that let's say you list i586
i686 x86_64 ppc and someone wants to rebuild it for alpha -> won't
build, even if the package/software would work
<warren> scop, you can include other archs in the list, buildsys can
simply ignore Extras non-supported archs.
<scop> warren, it's abuse of the tag nevertheless
<warren> scop, I'd personally disagree, but either way this is very
simple and it already behaves similar to this in Core literally forever.
<warren> more importantly the simplicity of this allows us to move
forward sooner
<warren> (assuming dcbw doesn't have a better idea)
<scop> that I agree with

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com

[1]
However we should disallow this, unless someone proves through
benchmarks that there is a huge benefit of publishing both i386 and i686
packages and our tools support selection of the right arch directly.
Currently I believe it doesn't.