SSL connection errors to plague-server

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jan 23 19:45:52 UTC 2006

enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de (Enrico Scholz) writes:

> somehow, SSL connections to plague-server are broken currently. When
> the sent request is <1024 bytes it seems to hang forever.
>
> Reproducible e.g. by:
>
> ----------
> $ cat >xmldata <<EOF
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <methodCall>
>   <methodName>examples.getStateName</methodName>
>   <params>
>     <param>
>       <value><i4>41</i4></value>
> <!-- AAA ... AAA -->
>     </param>
>   </params>
> </methodCall>
> EOF
>
> $ curl -0 -v --data-ascii "$(cat xmldata)" --cert ~/.fedora.cert \
>     --cacert ~/.fedora-server-ca.cert --key ~/.fedora.cert -k -3 \
>     https://buildsys.fedoraproject.org:8887/RPC2
> ----------

Some more details: doing the same thing with 'wget' succeeds:

$ wget -dS  -O- --secure-protocol=SSLv3 --no-check-certificate \
       --certificate ~/.fedora.cert --private-key ~/.fedora.cert \
       --post-file /tmp/xmldata1 https://buildsys.fedoraproject.org:8887/RPC2

Analysing the transmitted data shows, that (the hanging) 'curl' sends
one 464 sized hunk of data while (the working) 'wget' sends 4 hunks of
data (32 + 224 + 32 + 192 Bytes).

In the >=1024 bytes data case (which works), 'curl' sends two hunks of
data.

Because 'curl' is very widely used and tested, and does not show these
problems on any other server, it is very, very likely that the latest
changes on plague-server broke something. Especially, because it worked
a week ago.

I can probably workaround the problem with sending my buildrequests with
manual created requests through wget intermediately. But it would be
very nice when the plague-server will be fixed.

Further analyses must be done on server-side, the two examples above
should give enough information... ;)

Enrico