Discussion summary: Mock security

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Thu Jun 8 14:41:12 UTC 2006

Hardcoded /usr/bin/mock.py is sufficient. If a black hat has somehow
manged to subvert /usr/bin/mock.py, game over already.

There are no show-stoppers that I see, but there are a few changes to be
made for security.

The --configdir option will need to be rethought a bit. Considering that
the config files are executable code, we will have to change the config
to separate 'trusted' from 'untrusted' configs where we do not execute
code from untrusted sources.

The --resultdir and --statedir options will have to be changed to drop
privileges before creating/writing to them, to disallow somebody from
stomping system paths or using symlink attacks.
--
Michael