Default config file contents

Clark Williams williams at redhat.com
Mon Jun 26 22:21:09 UTC 2006

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com wrote:
> Default config file contents
>
> Discussion topic:
>
> With the recent changes to mock, several default config file options
> have changed. I am of the opinion that we should provide a config
> file with only the basic things that the user would like to change,
> and leave the defaults in mock.py (with an option to dump the
> config). For example, I believe we should take out the mount,
> unmount, rm, chroot, etc from our default configs, as it is highly
> unlikely that average users would change these.
>
> The reason for this proposed change is to make it easier to migrate
> from one version to the next. As it is, mock 0.7 will not be able to
> use %config(noreplace) on the config files, because too many things
> changed. The user will have to manually merge any site-specific
> changes.
>
> The final config file, I believe, should only contain the yum config
> relating to repository locations, which the user is likely to want
> to mirror for speed reasons.
>
> Comments?

I agree. Sounds like we'll end up with a file that only contains
options that modify behavior, as opposed to basic utilities.  Possibly
the following:

config_opts['basedir'] = '/var/lib/mock/'
config_opts['chrootuser'] = 'mockbuild'
config_opts['chrootgroup'] = 'mockbuild'
config_opts['chroothome'] = '/builddir'
config_opts['clean'] = True

# caching related options
config_opts['rebuild_cache'] = True
config_opts['use_cache'] = True
config_opts['cache_topdir'] = "root-cache"
config_opts['max_cache_age_days'] = 15

My only addition would be to say that I'd really like a better name
than "defaults.cfg", which is one letter removed from the symlink
default.cfg, which is the default configuration file. I don't really
have a preference, just something not so easily confused.

Maybe "configuration.cfg" or something like that?

Clark