mock goals and non-goals

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Thu May 11 19:10:18 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Thu, 11 May 2006, seth vidal wrote:

> goals:
> - make clean and consistent build environments to be used by fedora's
> buildsystem and packagers
> - simplify building and testing process for packagers
> - be able to canonically identify the 'build environment' for fedora
> systems to discourage confusion on what should be where
> - simple interface with good defaults.
Why not a bit more generic and see mock as a tool to build rpms in a clean
and consistent buildroot. After all, we heard that SuSE RPMs can be built
with it too. And that's a feat s the last time I looked SuSE RPMs were
pretty bad dependency-wise.

> non-goals:
> - this is not a tool to manage many, many builds with queuing, etc -
> that is plague.
ack IMHO. Even though plague needs still a bit of work it seems. livna's
plague installation only became stable as soon as I sent them a few
patches, which dcbw handed me on irc after bugging him about a few
problems. ;-D

> - specifying multiple srpms on the command line for a SINGLE config -
> provided that the buildroot is refreshed/cleaned each time - unless, of
This time, I do not really see the difference between calling mock with
several srpms and calling mock several times on the shell.

> course, the --no-clean option is passed in
> - caching mechanism to create a cached pristine chroot that will allow
> for quickly recreating the chroot into that state simply by putting that
> cached copy back.
This would be simply great. Right now, the cycle of cearting the chroot,
installing the base-packages, doing the full depsolve-cycle,  building the
rpm and then removing the buildroot again takes ages.
Something faster there might be great.

> Patches which I am ambivalent about:
> - the fake buildreqs/sneaky buildreqs patch for rebuilding items with
> BROKEN buildrequires:
>    - I hate the idea of enabling broken shit
>    - I realize that there are lots of broken things that people need to
> work around and I'm sympathetic to that, to some extent. Doesn't mean I
> can't hate it.
Well, nobody expects you to like it, it just has to be in mock. ;-D

bye,
 andreas