: thetango SRPM dependency system

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jul 1 22:36:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:16:02AM -0400, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
> The problems associated with bootstrapping an OS on a new architecture have
> been around for a long time.  The issues with doing so are numerous -- how
> to build, what order should the packages in the OS be built in, how to
> identify build dependencies, etc.  Determining a build map, or build tree,
> would go a long way in decreasing the time to entirely rebuild or bootstrap
> an architecture.
>
> As a starting point, a brute force build method of repeatedly traversing
> the F7 SRPM list alphabetically was done.  This resulted in
> approximately 2500
> packages built over a week -- far short of the complete list of SRPMS.
> The frequency of successful builds slowed down dramatically after this
> number
> of SRPMS were built.  The perl-* SRPMS are particularily nasty ...

How can thetango know that perl-Foo will be providing perl(Bar) which
perl-Baz BuildRequires?

E.g. how can any automatic provides be guessed by thetango? A
not-too-far away goal is to have a perl()-like system for python and
other languages, which means more and more BRs depending on virtual
automatic provides that you can only detect after a build, not before.

I guess that if thetango cannot compute the depdency then it probably
gets discarded to at least get some better ordering, but the final
build will still need a brute force iterative approach.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net