pungi newbie comments

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 23:40:12 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 19:31:21 Skahan, Vince wrote:
> Let me just start with 'Wow' :-)

Thanks!

> After a few false starts figuring out how things were put together under
> the hood between yum and pungi, I successfully got a respin of a fully
> patched FC6+updates done in only a few hours start to finish.  'Very'
> cool stuff.

Awesome.  It's even easier in Fedora 7.

> Biggest problem I had was figuring out the admittedly (in hindsight)
> very few commands/edits needed to get the job done, as the docs in the
> wiki and other web references I could have were very cryptic at best.
> Some kind of a "getting started with pungi' doc with a simple, clear,
> concise, complete set of steps to follow sure would have helped.
>
> Is there such a document ?   Any interest in me drafting what I did to
> start cooking up such a newbie's guide ?

I would certainly not turn down such a document.  Please do!  But if you do,
basing it on Fedora 7 is best.

> Lastly, is there any plan to have pungi be able to build live-cd images
> as well as the distro images ?  I have a coworker who's fiddling around
> with the live-cd creator stuff in FC7 and we both thought that unifying
> the toolset might be worth thinking about.

There is a higher level tool called revisor that provides another frontend to
pungi libraries and livecd-creator.  It's even graphical.  Give revisor a try
on Fedora 7!

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora