troubleshooting a build failure under mock

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Fri Mar 2 21:18:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 11:40 -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
<snip>
> I tend to doubt that it would be a mock problem. It is more likely a
> problem where the libc/other_random_component on SL4.4 is expecting a
> kernel feature that is present on SL4.4 but not FC6. I ran into
> something similar where (IIRC) < FC3 host could not build packages for
> >=FC6 target because the FC6 libc was expecting a certain kernel
> feature not enabled on FC3.
>
> This, afaict, is the only hole in the mock process: that we still rely
> on the host kernel. If the target build is relying on some kernel
> feature that can change from kernel to kernel, you are stuck.
> Something that cannot be avoided, though.
>
> You might instrument the build to get an strace of what is going on
> when you get the internal compiler error.
> --
> Michael
>
> --

I did builds in both environments with 'strace -eall -e verbose=all'.
Most of the result is Greek to me.  The only thing that I saw was
differences in GCC's garbage collection parameters.  I tried making
those equal on both platforms.  I know that is not supposed to affect
code generation, but I thought it was worth a try.

I've attached the relevant logs, if anyone can read Greek.

mkscrlib.f.log-02 is the log when SL 4.4 is the build system

mkscrlib.f.log-03 is the log when FC 6 is the build system

Thanks,
Tony