Plague dependency question

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Mar 29 08:50:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:18:14 +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:

> I think, the bsys should raise up a list of deps that might need a
> rebuild; A webpage with checkboxes and a go button. :-) Eventuall a
> notification to the maintainer if build fails, and/or a bug#, whatever.
> But if you want autorebuilds in such a way, the system needs to know how
> to increase the release number and add a cl entry to the spec; Needs cvs
> commit rights and so on... Maybe nothing anyone wants to be automated...
> However, I'm not goin' to code this :-P

And once it's made too easy to rebuild package sets like this, we will see
many needless rebuilds in Fedora.

"Automatic rebuilds" in my opinion implies that there is a way to check
automatically whether a rebuild is necessary. For instance, if a soname
has changed and breaks the ABI. But the build system cannot know whether
this is expected. 3rd party repositories which depend on our packages
won't like such breakage and our attempts to work around it with
automatic mass-rebuilds.