Pungi gathering - too many kernels

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 14:50:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:51:15 +0100 (CET)
Peter Åstrand <astrand at cendio.se> wrote:

> Is this really correct? The normal "kernel" package provides
> kernel-drm-nouveau, so why is it necessary to pull in all other
> kernel packages? To me, it looks like the dependency resolver is not
> satisfied with one package fulfilling the dependencies, but rather
> includes all.

That is correct.  Dep resolving to create an install tree is different
than dep solving at install time.  This is because we have no idea what
the user will choose as far as packages at install time, so we need to
make sure all possible resolvers for deps are included.  Once the user
goes to install, and they've say selected they want (or need)
kernel-PAE, then that particular kernel will satisfy all requirements
on kernel.  But if instead they want or need kernel.i586, that will
take the place instead.

--
Jesse Keating