fun with CVS branching

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 02:19:40 UTC 2008

Two things from this mass branching that showed up:

1) Something weird happened, and all the modules entries pw*-z
got deleted from the modules file halfway through. We get to try
and put them back. Um, yay?

2) The modules file, *as it stands now*, is nearly 3MB checked out,
and nearly *1.2GB* under RCS. That can't be good.

The reason for this is to allow for the creation of pseudo-modules
for each 'branch', i.e., so 'cvs co FC-5' generates a:

FC-5/bash
FC-5/automake
FC-5/autoconf

tree, where the FC-5/<package> directory is the 'normal' <package>/FC-5
dir.

(Note that the 'devel' meta-branch is done in an Entirely Different
manner.)

So, the question would be... is this worth it? Do we want to keep
supporting this?

Bill