fun with CVS branching

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Apr 22 09:59:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:48:48 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 22:19 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > So, the question would be... is this worth it? Do we want to keep
> > supporting this?
>
> Is the fact that you can check out e.g. "FC-5" even *documented*
> anywhere? I don't recall having come across it, but then again I am a
> skimmer.

The generic "cvs co BRANCH" was documented and used during the FE era.
It's a matter of convenience. It was quick access to a specific branch
without the need to filter package branch dirs [with a little bit extra
work in scripts]. But all I remember is that the modules file was broken
often and needed fixes before a full branch could be checked out.
Nowadays, cvs contents are so huge, one better avoids checking out
complete branches. One is better of to download the seed file and up
from there.