Local packages

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Feb 7 15:36:23 UTC 2008

I'm trying to build a localized repository:
  Fedora + Updates + Local Packages

Some of the local packages are derived from the mainline.  I
make some [minor] changes to match my hardware (sadly, my
mods aren't suitable for pushing upstream).  I want to keep
the version+revision pretty much intact so I know where the
package came from, etc.  For example, I need to have a slightly
modified X server (uncommon hardware, yeah!).  So, I started
with the package:
   xorg-x11-server-1.3.0.0-40.fc8.src.rpm
I make my little change and rebuild, creating:
   xorg-x11-server-1.3.0.0-40_AM.fc8.src.rpm
along with the desired binary packages.

I'm trying to run pungi to create a munged/tailored repository,
using the official versions of Fedora & Updates.  Sadly, it
seems that the original package always seems to override the
one with my modifications, e.g.
   xorg-x11-server-1.3.0.0-40.fc8.src.rpm
is chosen, even when both it and
   xorg-x11-server-1.3.0.0-40_AM.fc8.src.rpm
are present.

Is there a way to set the version so that my package always
wins?  That way, I can use the 100% official repositories as
the starting point and only have my little mods.

Thanks for any pointers

n.b. at the moment, I'm just pruning the packages I need to
change out of the official versions (local copies of course),
but this is tedious and fraught with error.