rebuilding from old cvs tags

Mike Bonnet mikeb at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 16:09:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 16:15 -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:33:12PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > Ive considered the idea of having a web app to make srpms on demand
> > for people also.  It would most likely be needed there also.  But it
> > doesnt help with the historical data we dont have.
>
> I started the 'correspondingsource' project on fedorahosted.org today
> exactly for such a webapp.
>
> We have just over 85k tags for all the packages in CVS; some going
> back to 2004, some only to the F7 days.  Not sure yet how much history
> was lost during the Core import.
>
> We've talked about "immutable tags" before.  While that would be nice,
> I'd be fine with having koji add a tag in its own namespace,  either
> at package checkout pre-build, or on succcessful build, either way is
> fine by me.  These tags would not be the same tags as 'make tag'
> creates, so users can force-tag if they really feel the need, but we
> would more than strongly discourage force tagging on the koji
> namespace tags.

I'm not really comfortable having an automated system (Koji) modifying
the SCM.  Giving the Koji builders credentials to modify the SCM in a
secure way (without making those credentials available to the world)
might be tricky.  It also dramatically increases the risk in the event
that a builder is compromised.  Right now all Koji access to the SCM is
read-only, and it should probably stay that way.

I think immutable tags are the answer here.  We already kind of assume
tags don't change once they're built, we might as well enforce it.  I
know force-tag is convenient, but how much harder is it really to bump
the revision number instead?