Both a .buildstamp and .buildstamp_1 ?!?

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Tue Jan 29 08:01:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Peter Åstrand wrote:

> Another theory is that there's a name clash in /tmp. It seems like Pungi
> and the other tools does not clean up its build directories. Instead, they
> are left to tmpwatch, which has a 30 day limit by default. So we have
> always have 30 directories of each in /tmp.
>
> I've done another build now and it looks OK. Perhaps we just had bad luck
> and hit the same sequence (pid?) number of an existing dir.

Bingo. When looking at i386.log, I found:

Building minstg.img
Running mksquashfs /tmp/instimage.dir.4284 /tmp/minstg2.img -all-root -no-fragments -no-progress
Found a valid exportable little endian SQUASHFS superblock on /tmp/minstg2.img.4284.

That is, the target /tmp/minstg2.img.4284 already exists, so files will be
appended. Another funny thing is that both first debug lines are
incorrect:

* We are not building minstg.img, but minstg2.img

* The output file is not /tmp/minstg2.img, but /tmp/minstg2.img.4284.

In /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/mk-images, you will find:

        echo "Running mksquashfs $tmp $TMPDIR/${imagename}2.img -all-root -no-fragments -no-progress"
        mksquashfs $tmp $TMPDIR/${imagename}2.img.$$ -all-root -no-fragments -no-progress
        chmod 0644 $TMPDIR/${imagename}2.img.$$

It seems like $$ was added to the command but not the debug printout... It
would be much more SPOT to do:

cmd="mksquashfs $tmp $TMPDIR/${imagename}2.img.$$ -all-root -no-fragments -no-progress"
echo "Running ${cmd}"
${cmd}

Another thing to consider is run run mksquashfs with the -noappend.

Rgds,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://www.cendio.se