package upload/import speed

Mike Bonnet mikeb at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 20:34:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 15:56 -0400, Naveen Gavini wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When importing or building RPM's from source is there an option that is
> throttling the upload speed of the package?
> We are seeing speeds of 10kbps which makes importing/building large
> packages very slow.

Package upload happens via xml-rpc, and to avoid holding the entire
contents of the file in memory, it's done in chunks.  Unfortunately
python xml-rpc libs don't support keep-alive, so if you're using SSL
authentication you incur the non-trivial SSL connection setup/teardown
overhead for every chunk, in addition to the TCP connection
setup/teardown.  The chunk size in your version is probably very small
(64k?).  That has been increased in the Koji repo, but not released yet.
The next version will improve this situation somewhat.