Koji "hidden" packages proposal

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 17 14:13:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 21:58 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> What im talking about was the proposal put forward  when we had the buildsys
> meeting  the proposal that  we all said sounded like the way to move forward.
> This is not that proposal.   importing packages is the one thing that hurts
> koji from getting wider use outside of fedora.  Some people will import the
> data.  Most do not want to.  Fedora will be mirroring RHEL content from RHN,
> people outside of fedora will be mirroring fedora and building on top of
> that.

I'm not sure I see the problem here, necessarily.

okay here's how I see what Mike's proposal does and then what we
eventually want to do:

Mike's Proposal:
 - gives us a way of building from the reposync'd rhel-trees that we now
have on puppet1 w/o distributing these pkgs out to the world. Yay
 - gives us a way of building epel in koji so we can finally disable
plague, also yay.

The eventual future:
 -  have a way of koji to build from an arbitrary set of remote repos
by:
     1. syncing down the repodata from those remote repos and 'faking'
an import
     2. creating its own local repo out of the remote repos (or
micro-repos) for external use.

There's nothing mutually exclusive about these two items and, afaict,
there's no requirement that they be done at the same time, either.

I guess in short:
 - Dennis: I think your suggestion is one we should do but we do not
require it immediately.

 - Mike: The proposal sounds round enough to me. We've already got all
of the production repos(no betas) in rhn for rhel4 and 5 for i386,
x86_64 and ppc* synced over on puppet1. They resync every night. Is
there anything else you need that I missed?

-sv