[Server-devel] Tying yum to a package "stream"?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 14 03:24:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:57 +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > you can use yum's priorities plugin to achieve similar results.
>
> It's a bit simpler than apt but I can sure work with this. Thanks!
>
> > Just as in the apt-world configuring priorities/pinning for
> > longterm/widespread use is a frelling nightmare.
>
> :-) -- well stated.
>
> If people mess with the repo configs we provide, install random rpms
> or play their Heavy Metal Rock records backwards, they void their
> warranty.

 To expand on what Seth is saying, if you are doing this on your local
developer workstation etc. ... feel free to do whatever you want to
override the normal behaviour from the repos. (that's what the features
are there for).

 But if you are going to ship a repo to end users which requires/uses
the yum-priority plugin (or excludes, or whatever), then the simple
advise I would give you is: _don't_.
 Instead clone the Fedora repo. removing the packages you want to
"override", or even better get your changes into Fedora.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora