[Server-devel] Tying yum to a package "stream"?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 05:49:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Mike McLean <mikem at redhat.com> wrote:
> If you go this route, I think what you want is obsoletes. Obsoletes says
> "this packages replaces this one." Conflicts says "this package cannot be
> installed at the same time as this other one."

Does 'obsoletes' also mean "this package cannot be installed at the
same time as this other one."? Because things *will* go wrong if
someone installs moodle and moodle-xs :-/

>>>  Instead clone the Fedora repo. removing the packages you want to
>>> "override"
>>
>> Quite a bit of work if I also want to give them access to sec updates
>> in a timely fashion :-) and my "conflict" with Fedora packages is
>> tiny.
>
> I think you could come up with a reasonably fast sync script if you wanted
> to go this way.

Sure - rsync to da rescue! :-) - but then there is no review and
testing, and we're back to the same situation as with pointing users
directly to the Fedora repos. Field installs may break if an update
comes through untested/unreviewed.

It makes sense to freeze our repo and selectively update it with
reviewed&tested updates from fedora... if you have the focus on
stability and the manpower to do it. Neither is true right now for me.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions