Revisor (or Anaconda?) spin - unable to install on i586

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Feb 16 01:52:08 UTC 2009

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> we have revisor on F-9 ignoring the requested arch and building the
> spin based on the host arch only - is this a known issue? The
> revisor-made spin we have doesn't work on i586 :-/
>
> more details below...
>
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> the olpc XS spin is hitting a problem installing on i586s (and that
>> includes our own XO). The problem seems to be well known -- anaconda
>> composes based on the arch of the build host rather than on the arch
>> requested, as described in:
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/revisor/wiki/AnacondaUpdates#TheUnabletoInstalloni586Example2
>>
>> The revisor conf says "architecture=386", yet we are getting _only_
>> openssl i686 on the iso, which won't get installed on 586, so
>> everything breaks on the (partially installed) machine.
>> I'm away from my buildbox today -- Jerry's been testing and reports
>> that pungi-driven composes also put an openssl-i386 on the iso, while
>> revisor-driven composes don't. So it sounds like the problem is
>> perhaps in how revisor drives anaconda?
>>
>> Any hints or ideas? It seems to be a well known problem...?
>>
>> (the compose host is a Fedora-9 box, that follows updates.newkey)

Hi Martin,

Since your first mail, I've tried to reproduce this. I have no problems
producing installation media with both openssl.i386 and openssl.i686 in
the RPM payload (Packages/ directory) - with either respin mode or
without, which I was thinking may have been the issue. This however is
using a fresh git clone off of master, not the released version of
Revisor on Fedora 9.

Are you composing Live media by any chance? I can see how there is no
.i386 version of openssl installed.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip